The Second Mind: While in Absence


                             The Second Mind

The day when I was able to free my mind from the grip of my bicycle and look at my peripherals, was the day when I knew the existence of my second mind. Days passed by and eventually, I realized that there was something controlling me in my ignorance and helping me greatly. I accepted you, it wasn’t that I had authority over or I even could deny you but I just did. You are like the obscure minister behind the king's every successful decision. You are my dominator and my role was just to mask your presence as if you didn’t exist. You are the reason I can walk, run and jump without paying my sole concentration to these activities. I can breathe seamlessly but when I notice I am breathing and I try to breathe in my conscience, I feel abnormal and surprisingly out of sync. But without noticing, I breathe just fine thanks to you, my friend. Each time I start to learn something new I try hard but I approach nowhere near fluency let alone mastering it. I try to concentrate deeper but I make mistakes; grave mistakes. But eventually, you offer me your hand of assistance and we start to share the task between us. It makes me feel more natural, seamless, and normal. I make fewer mistakes. But after long tiring efforts and many days of practicing I manage to completely hand over the control of that task to you. And then you merge that skill into my veins and instinct. Finally, I am able to master it. Then whenever I do that task it feels completely natural and I no longer need to put my sole concentration into it and all thanks to you. You handle the progressive physical tasks very well. But you are not so bad at mental reasoning either. At least you can oppose me with different logic when taking a decision. But sometimes you pose a hindrance to my reasoning and also create false memories. By the way, the benefits you offer me make your hindrances look overwhelmingly insignificant. You are always there for me in my loneliness. It’s because you are in my mind. I wish we could get to know each other better and eventually our other friend. You are my instinct, my shadow, my pneuma, a part of myself. You give me the ability of precognition and to make illogical fantasies in the gray zone of consciousness and unconsciousness. Thank you, my second mind. Thank you.

Comments